Monday, June 06, 2005

Four letter 'words'

One of the most fascinating pursuits we indulge in, I believe, is the analysis of personality. Can anyone really analyze personalities, much less categorize them neatly into different “types?” Well, there is a whole science dedicated to this very pursuit, and even if you don’t agree with it, it is still fascinating because it is about yourself.
There is this one system called Myers Briggs typology. This divides people into 16 types, and yes, all six billion of us on the planet can potentially fit into any one type based on the test. I discovered a book about it about two years ago and instantly pounced on it and devoured it. And I thought I had my type, though not wholly “fitting in”, so to speak, within that “type.”
For some reason I started thinking about it again recently, and made a cross section of friends do the test and find their type. Then it occurred to me that I might try the test again myself. I did, and this time I got a different profile. This one seems closer to my own view of myself, though again I would not say it is a perfect match.
That is the question. Wouldn’t a person’s answers change over time, depending on circumstances and natural maturity? Then what is the true validity of such a test? Oh well. I have never done the paid version of the thing, which is probably why I got disparate results in the first place. That should teach me to grab the freebies.
Here is a sample of what that great purveyor of all and any information, the Internet, had to say about mois: (http://typelogic.com) , by one Ms. Marina Margaret Heiss with Joe Butt.
“They tend to have little patience and less understanding of such things as small talk and flirtation (which most types consider half the fun of a relationship). To complicate matters, they are usually extremely private people, and can often be naturally impassive as well, which makes them easy to misread and misunderstand. Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that they really want people to make sense. :-)”
Okay, that last part is eerily true. Or is it just the Forer effect? You know, where a bunch of people reads a generalized description of certain personlity traits, and they all, unbeknownst to each other, end up feeling that it describes them?
If y’all want to find out your type, do the test at http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/Jtypes1.asp. Then read up on the four- letter description that the test assigns you. And no, we are not talking profanity here: each profile really IS made of four letters. :-)See how and if you fit in to what the test says. Leave comments, please. Note that this isn't quite the definitive test, you have to take the professionally administered one to get the professional analysis, but this is good for a start.

8 comments:

The Desi Nole said...

Dude,
Reply to my comments some day will ya.

The Desi Nole said...

You have been booktagged at http://clrkn.blogspot.com

devikamenon said...

Karthik,
it was really great to read your comments..encouraging! I have left my comments on your blog too. :-)
Write to me sometime.

Col said...

Hey i dont think i am so limited so as to be described by just a four letter word but yes they can surely try...coz "I have been fearfully and wonderfully made"

The Desi Nole said...

Sweety, you have been booktagged, so go ahead and copy the post from my blog, delete what I wrote and start filing it with your info. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Part about wanting people to make sense may be more true in your case than in most others. I had to think about it first, to see if it's an issue for me. Hmmm, of course I do want people to make sense, but it is not on my top 20 list.
take care

2015130119 said...

took the damn test. didn't like the questions, hate the results. here's what it said:

ISTJ
Introverted Sensing Thinking Judging
Strength of the preferences %
100 25 12 17

You are:

* very expressed introvert
* moderately expressed sensing personality
slightly expressed thinking personality (Oh, thank you, thank you! You are too kind)
* slightly expressed judging personality

2015130119 said...

Oh wait but the article at http://typelogic.com/istj.html is pretty nice. It's way off about my punctuality, and if I understood there's an insinuation that I lack tact, which I hope is completely false, otherwise I can agree with it. Is that the best they can do after I had to answer all those questions???

Related Posts with Thumbnails