Thursday, June 22, 2006

Pink and Blue

Watching a re-run of a re-run of Friends the other night, I was struck by what is a recurring theme in this show. Rachel and Ross are taking their baby Emma to Rachel’s workplace (Ralph Lauren) and they’ve put a pink bow on her head for the occasion. Ross makes a remark about Emma being so cute that she would make a bigger hit than peasant blouses and A-line skirts.
Rachel, Monica and Chandler turn to him with a look that says, “What is wrong with you? Why are you even aware of such a thing as an A-line skirt?” Ross then sheepishly asks if he can have a blue bow on his head.
Maybe I was just in a bad mood that evening. But it set me thinking. So if a man talks even slightly knowledgably about a topic like women’s clothes, he is, somehow, less of a man? On the other hand, if he slips up and says he doesn’t care two hoots about such topics, he automatically becomes an insensitive ape who knows nothing about women and their needs.
It seems to be quite a situation for a fellow to be in. This show is full of such little references- although I’m sure it is prevalent elsewhere too. Besides, once you are on the Seinfeld side of the fence, there is very little about Friends that appeals to you.

6 comments:

The Desi Nole said...

Hey I love both friends and seinfeld. But yeah I agree with you on how tough it is to be a man.

Anonymous said...

devi...
how have u been .. its been a while since i spoke to u .. buzz me when u get some free time.
take care dear
love
raj

zimmerman said...

ask ME how tough it is being a man in a woman's world :-X

Anonymous said...

waiting for ur next post...

Anonymous said...

Devi,
did you see Sienfeld today: the famous 'who spit on Kramer' episode. Done in the JFK shoot out style complete with technocolour... Friends may be good but Seinfled rocks...
[and Jerry still made 100 million $ this year: 8 years after the show officially ended; only on reruns :-(]
Agree with Anon, waiting for your next post.
GGB

Anonymous said...

20.15.13.1.19

Ya'll need to stop crying about how hard it is to be a man. I totally agree that in USA and many other countries belonging to the same general civilization, we (men) have it harder than women. This has been proven, by the way, on an episode of "Mind of Mencia" show by Carlos Mencia himself. Anyways, it is difficult only if you let opinions and expectations of others affect you. Of course if you know what a-line skirt is, you're probably gay. Nothing wrong with that, I just don't have time to talk in generalizations and include everybody in this comment. Now if I did know what a-line skirt was and was Ross in that particular episode, I would've replied to that inappropriate look thus: "why you looking at me like you stupid, stupid?" See - awkwardness of the situation lifted and we all could laugh about it. Or then again recently my wife asked me to go with her on a "walk for breast cancer". Those walks make no sense to me, but that's a different topic. What was my answer? - NO. I brought to her attention the fact that men usually die younger than women in USA. Therefore I don't think it's fair for me to do anything concerned (mostly) with women's health issues if I don't do a thing for men's issues. I'm happy to get out of an event where I would have to be around people and my wife is happy, since I communicated my feelings to her. Problem solved again. Now finally I must say that after careful analysis of Friends and some other comedy sitcoms I realized that they don't portray realities of American life very accurately. So if you see something else there that really bothers you, remember - it's just a show.

Related Posts with Thumbnails