Friday, May 18, 2007

The argumentative Indian

Aid-worker friend is currently in Sri Lanka. He says that while Sri Lankans are like babies, Indians are like angst-ridden pre-pubescents. Now, he’s lived and worked in India, Guyana, Canada, parts of Africa, and of course, Sri Lanka. So I give him a fair bit of leeway when it comes to sweeping statements about peoples and nations in general. Moreover, after listening to what were, admittedly, patient and unbiased descriptions of how the visa process at the Indian embassy in Colombo works, I do not have anything intelligent to defend my country with.
This morning, at a busy intersection, the traffic lights weren’t working and there wasn’t a cop around. My auto guy drove into oncoming traffic and went left when we wanted to go right. I asked him what he thought he was doing. He said, cheerily, “Fullu jam.” OK. Meanwhile, two other cars were standing still, head-to-head, blocking about a kilometer of traffic on either side. I thought about aid-worker friend and shook my head. I really do not have anything to say.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails