Monday, May 26, 2008

the moment

He hands me a bunch of green onions to chop- they yield to the knife with a satisfying crunch. Next, the red onion- deep fuschia crescents spill smoothly from my knife, and then comes fresh basil in sweetly fragrant shreds. Dinah Washington sings on the radio- "you go to my head, you linger like a haunting refrain..."
The salt and pepper grinders stand like little lighthouses over the sea of bubbling onions and garlic in a pan of olive oil. The bowl of lemons on the table gleams quietly.
Outside, the light shifts in pale shafts from lavender pre-dusk to ribbons of soft yellow.
A glass of crisp white wine. The warm soapy water as I rinse the dishes. Layering the pasta, the tomato sauce, the cheese in the lasagna dish.
And again I come to realize the truth of it: nothing happens next. This is it.

2 comments:

Serendipity said...

I know exactly what you mean. Very very nicely written.

dm said...

Thanks!
Yes, that quote is very much my theme song these days. Along with others like "And remember, no matter where you go, there you are.." and "Don't wake up at the end of someone else's life."

Related Posts with Thumbnails