Wednesday, April 07, 2010

All good things

I feel the need for chocolate. Well, to be more precise, the need for a certain dessert my mother used to make when I was young.
There was one barbecue evening my parents hosted, one winter. After the kebabs and the hundred other things for dinner, we finally got to the part I'd been waiting for: dessert. This my Mom made by doing something to a tin of condensed milk; I know not exactly what, but I know that it takes a few hours to be ready.
And when it's ready? Imagine a thick, smooth, pearly cylinder of chocolate. That's what it was. It was still in the cylindrical tin that the condensed milk came in, and you had to skilfully cut it out and place it on your serving plate. And then pile it with cold sliced fruit, whipped cream, or whatever else...oh my God.
Also, I remember that evening one of the guests was this pesky little kid. He liked the dessert thing so much that for the remainder of the evening he followed my Mom around, tugging at her sari and whining, "Aunty, chaaaaaaac-let!"
So, although the memories of my Mom's unnamed chocolate-dessert-thing are pleasant, that whiny little shrimp also stars right alongside, every time. Sigh. One must take the bad with the good, I suppose. I can't deny that it's also exactly what I would have done today, had my mother been within sari-tugging reach. "Mummy, chaaaac-let!"
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Friend said...

Hmmm it might be an option to call Mom and check out this dessert? If nothing, it will stop me from going "Aunty, chaaaaac-let!" next time I see her.

Related Posts with Thumbnails