Monday, August 02, 2010

Read n Fail

In recent times there've been a few books that I began reading with great fanfare- usually provided by my good friend, J- both the books and the fanfare. But when I began reading, what happened? They just fell flat.
Sometimes the author disappointed after a great previous read- Peter Mathiessen, after his stupendous At Play in the Fields of the Lord, drove me to distraction by meandering along in Shadow Country.
Henry Miller and his Tropic of Cancer- well, who wants to read the diary of a cranky, lewd old man? Same with Bukowski and his Women.
Dave Eggers' Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius tried too hard. And now his You Shall Know Our Velocity- hmm, intriguing, but will I really be able to finish it? We'll see.
All this reading and stopping has led me to name this phenomenon Read and Fail. But in the  memory of a jolly joint called Eat N' Joy that I used to frequent in my youth, I will call it the Read N Fail.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails