Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Solo

I’ve always read about how marriage needs ‘work.’ How you need to ‘keep the spark alive’, or to ‘have fun together.’ Fortunately, I haven’t ever felt the need to put so much of what seems like frankly back-breaking labour, into my own marriage. But in the age of the terminally busy, I find that it is friendships that need so much ‘work.’
I miss that era of my life when close friends were close at hand. In every phase you do give up some friends and you make some more, but here it seems as though I am valiantly struggling to keep those I do have, and have run out of the ability and the circumstances to make new ones.
Some of my best and dearest friends are the ones that are geographically hundreds or thousands of miles away. Others are close but I see them twice a year. I am beginning to feel like the only person in the world.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails