Thursday, November 18, 2010

Smoke not, show not

Aishwarya Rai BachchanImage: Spree by PiX - Berlin via Flickr
Poor Aishwarya Rai is the latest to go and get sued for the character she is playing in a film. The Guzaarish poster has her smoking. And what of it? Apparently, this is against the law- to show a person smoking on film.
Well, if it's illegal, it's illegal, granted. But why sue only Ash? She, like any actor, is the end product of a long and complicated production line. I say, sue the person who came up with the very idea of a smoking character! Why blame the film actor for complying with the characterization sketched out for her?
Besides, we should take a look at this law. Of all the generations that grew up watching people smoke, I am sure some people did think it was cool and took up the habit. And there are millions who didn't. My point is, I don't understand how smoking, egregious as it is, is a worse behavior on screen than gratuitous violence, terrible vulgarity or half-witted comedy. Why, some of the 'comedy' I've seen in our movies has made me want to go out and buy a scythe with which to cause bloodshed- but I am sure "comedies" will not be banned anytime soon. Snort.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails