Saturday, December 11, 2010

Watched: Eat, Pray, Love

BAFTA 2008 - Javier BardemImage by claire_h via Flickr
I didn't know what to expect from the movie, since I haven't read the book. But I was prepared for a nice enough story about a woman's journey in celebration of self and life, and...oh who am I kidding? I knew a certain Javier Bardem stars in it. And that right there was reason enough for me.
So, to get on with the movie, it's all about Liz Gilbert and her 'journey' to presumably, self-love and self-liberation after a morose and muddled divorce. She travels to countries beginning with "I". Ergo, first stop Italy, where she mucks around in gorgeous Rome making friends and stuffing face with gorgeous sphagetti. Then, zooms to India where she resides at an Ashram, India predictably being the "SOURCE". Of spiritual enlightenment, one presumes, an assumption or belief that I have come to really, really question. Anyway, last stop, Indonesia. Bali, where she meets a spiritual healer and comes to the aid of a local woman by raising money for her.
Gah. All this may have been fine in the book. But in the movie it is tedious, curiously flat, and frankly, snoozy. I cared not a whit for the woman Liz or her blessed love life. Poor actor-guy she went out with after her divorce? She leaves him..."you didn't ask me to stay." EH? Didn't the chap ask her to marry him? Then, in Rome, talking about accepting one's fatness after piling on the sphagetti , but then LYING DOWN on the floor trying to squeeze into small jeans. Again, EH?
Which brings me to the Bardem in Bali. Sumptuous combination, that. But even that failed to please me. By the time Javier and his shoulders appeared, I was way past caring. It all struck me as a little spoiled and indulgent. This film doesn't do justice to the book that has inspired and encouraged millions all over the world. Eat. Pray. Love. Snooze.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails