Monday, February 28, 2011

2011


And I watched it live. Best Supporting Actress Melissa Leo actually swore- the f word, no less, but I barely registered it. The show was quite a snooze- I perked up when Javier came up as a nominee and also a presenter, but that was pretty much that. So, on to what really got my attention.
Main Image
Can Berry do no wrong? Apart from having one of the FEW faces on earth that can rock a haircut like that, she also manages to look like a sort of human tiramisu with diamonds. Gosh, even though the back was a bit frou-frou with the frothy lace, my jaw dropped. I even forgot my hope that she would wear something in a jewel color from Versace. Oh well. Marchesa it was, and I shall be quite happy with it. (I love how fiercely determined the bald gent in the background is about looking away from Halle- protecting his jaw, no doubt.)

Main Image
And this here is the most stylish alien ever to visit our planet. Givenchy and their weird purple creations! (Zoe Saldana last year in that confused pond overgrowth thing). What is up with that arch on this bodice? Is it the doorway to a Moroccan villa? I am equally confounded by the spots of yellow around the neck. What gives, Blanchett? Aside from your hair, which is unequalled in its buttery perfection, I am baffled, puzzled, vexed, stymied, and quite frankly, disappointed. Next exhibit!

Main Image
And THAT is how you do purple! Mila Kunis stole my heart in this delicate lacy lilac, especially as I saw how it looked in the sunlight and when she moved. Despite (or maybe because of) being contrary to her heavily-cultivated 'dark and brooding' image, this Elie Saab dress stood out.

Main Image
Here is Reese in her divinely classic snow-edged Armani Prive. It kills me how she is the very definition of sassy here: confidence, a high-wattage smile, big emerald earrings and that HAIR. It, in its magnificent and towering glory, has ceased to be mere hair and is now HAIR- and I kinda liked it. Many may have panned her for the very fact that it is HAIR, but not I.

Main Image
But this new girl- Jennifer Lawrence- also with  glorious golden hair (not HAIR, though) -did no one tell her that her dress was almost identical to what Scarlett Johansson wore a few years ago to some awards show or the other? This Clavin Klein sheath, though, paled just a tad in comparison with Scarlett's version. Sad, because Jennifer is such a knockout in her own right.

anne hathaway armani oscars 2011
 This picture doesn't do this gown justice- Anne Hathaway and her enduring partnership with Armani Prive works out a bit better than her partnership with James Franco, I'm sorry to say. I just loved the way this deep sapphire dress shimmered like a Blue Morpho butterfly, but one with red lips and wavy chestnut locks, har har. In the end, she will be remembered (by me, of course) only for this dress at the 2011 Oscars.
(All images from Reuters)
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails