Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Language and other animals

Friend has always been a source of some rather hilarious mangling of our 'national' language...stoutly Dravidian and proud of it, he always pooh-poohed our admittedly militant insistence that all Indians be able to converse in it.

A few years ago he came across a signboard across a sweet shop that said "XYZ Mithai Bhandar." And what did he conclude? That the shop was advertising itself as a purveyor of sweet monkeys! I ask you! 

So naturally, yesterday when perusing the recent Delhi election results, I was not surprised when he messaged me. "Tell me, why shouldn't Aam Aadmi translate into Mango Man? Isn't aam mango? Don't want this turning into another sweet monkey."
I gallantly cleared the air: "'Aam is also 'common' or ordinary', you sweet monkey."

Friend: 'Ha. But you see, I've got a point there. I know the common man angle, but it is also the party for mango farmers.'
Long may you live, friend. Life is too short to not mangle language for the purpose of amusement. Sometimes that's the best part about the day. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed completely...life is too short not to mangle languages...or to say 'hi' to stunning strangers in elevators...

Anonymous said...

I hope you start writing again...

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas

Related Posts with Thumbnails