Monday, March 03, 2014

Oscars 2014

So! The Oscars have happened. Owing to geography we in this neck of the woods have the rather odd time of VERY EARLY in the a.m. in order to watch the ceremony live. But ceremony, shmeremony. What I really care about is the fashion, what? Although I completely missed the red carpet coverage because I was annoyed at my alarm and flung it away, I still caught glimpses of some lovely ladies through the show whenever I could. So here goes, in no particular order.

The Jolie looks vaguely rain-drenched and hesitant in this moody Elie Saab, I thought. Still, because it isn't black and does have very pretty embellishments, I quite liked it. The only nitpick would be the over-long sleeves. Always puts me off, that. But then the earrings make up for those. So overall, if there's something to dislike, there's also something to like- while not a favorite, this dress is beautiful and therefore on my list.


A study in contrasts: Cate Blanchett in dreamy, gauzy Armani Prive and Charlize Theron in structured, dramatic Christian Dior Couture. Well, then. I have to say I liked Charlize better- there were simply too many dresses of the 'dreamy, gauzy' variety this time. While Cate does look dreamy herself, Charlize is quite definitely more interesting. For once I wasn't annoyed by the sheer skirt trend, and then it showcases her amazing figure much more effectively than Cate's dress does for her.

How cute is Penelope in Giambatista Valli? I love the saree-like drape detail. Plus the pale pink is heavenly. The only thing I would change is her hair, but since it is Penelope and I love her above everyone, that too shall get a pass. When is her next movie coming out? The good Javier is also missing, sigh. The world is so dull without these two.

And here we have the indefatigable Lupita Nyong'o. She has been blazing through awards season so far, and capped it with a win at the Oscars too where she gave a touching speech. But look at her! I was half-dreading what she would wear since I didn't have great faith in a Prada design (Lupita is the face of Prada) but she certainly picked a winner. The pale blue and the subtle sequins gave the gown the look of a sparkling piece of clear sky. Add to that the diamond headband and the way she fluttered in excitement on the red carpet, and the whole effect was a childlike, delightful look.

Finally, my favorite of the evening. Kate Hudson looked like a goddess- the goddess of youth, beauty and all around hotness. I was left gaping: the dress, the hair, the make up and the figure. Atelier Versace it was, complete with a cape (although it's so small, it should be called a capelet. Or a capeling. Or a capette?) The shimmery dress looked even more fabulous in movement, and Kate carried it perfectly, making it stand out in a sea of similar pale, beaded confections. 
I also give honorable mentions to the following.
Lady Gaga, simply for turning up in a non-Gaga outfit; indeed, she looked positively ethereal in a shiny Versace; one Chrissy Teigen in a striking, playful floral Monique Lhuillier, and Emma Watson in an interesting charcoal Vera Wang.

All images taken from Red Carpet Fashion Awards


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails