Saturday, June 14, 2014

Phantom planet

One of the things my mother remembers most about me as a child was my tendency to wander off. Beginning at about age two, I would simply walk out of the house unseen and be retrieved by any one of the neighbors eventually. My poor mother.

But the wandering is still there. This is probably why I hate unpacking so much.

And decades later, I want no one to retrieve me. Especially because there is such a deep sense of being not in the place I 'should' be. But is it really a 'should'?

There are no answers to the questions of belonging and peace. I suspect I will have neither in this life, how unoriginal of me! But the need for going away is here. And my feet are beginning to ask, 'why aren't you wandering again?'

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails