Sunday, June 12, 2016

...

Another madman, another city, another set of victims. I'm struggling with a lot of emotions at the news of this latest massacre in Orlando, Florida. The overwhelming one is despair.

As debates rage over gun control, homophobia, mental illness, bureaucratic fumbling, and political mileage gained by those running for power, I am weary. 

For such an intelligent species, we certainly know how to be stupid.

Because I feel powerless and close to disillusioned, I do the only thing I can do. Focus on the present, the beauty instead of the horror. Callous as it may seem, every tragedy has only one thing in common for those not affected: gratitude for being not affected.

So I will pay extra attention to the beautiful music I have access to at all times. I will delight more intensely in the light show in my living room every sunset. For every hummingbird I spot, I will give thanks. I will polish the photograph of my mother in her youth more carefully. I will message a friend. 

I will live.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was phenomenal...absolutely beautiful, this ABSOLUTELY should be printed in the LA or NY Times. People need to read this, it's authentic, direct and yet gives hope and purpose. I'm wondering how you're doing after the Dallas shooting and the tragedy in Nice.

The entire post was extremely poignant, but these jumped out:

For such an intelligent species, we certainly know how to be stupid.

gratitude for being not affected.

I will polish the photograph of my mother in her youth more carefully.

I will live.

Related Posts with Thumbnails