Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Readings

There need to be certain additions to the English language. One, a term is needed for that slight feeling of being lost when one finishes a book and is in need of another. In fact, there should be two terms. One when the preceding book has been satisfying, and one for when the preceding book has been just average or below. 

Having just finished Michael Crichton's Travels, I'm in need of the latter term. So I turned up at my local library branch with a deathly determination. Now this branch has been honestly termed a 'small' branch, so I was prepared to not find a great trove of treasures. But I was still determined to dig through the offerings until I found something up to scratch. 

I rely mostly on my trusty reading site to provide me with reviews and I use it to gauge whether I would like a new book or not. Results have been more or less accurate, but with a slight touch of uncertainty that gives the whole endeavor a sense of adventure.

This resulting trio of picks has been rather predictable, though. An Irish village, a monster expert, a strong-minded girl fighting against circumstance? Hmmm. On top of which: Upon inspecting the bunch, J pronounced without a trace of doubt when I dithered about which to read first, "You should read the monster one first." Rather a disturbing firmness of opinion, there.

Still, monsters it is, clearly. Onward!

Books pictured:
An Irish Country Village by Patrick Taylor
The Monstrumologist by Rick Yancy
Divergent by Veronica Roth

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails