Thursday, October 27, 2016

Drunken sticks, all over

After a season of plentiful jacarandas, the city has another trick up its sleeve: the silk floss tree. They started popping up a few weeks ago, showy orchid-like pink blooms atop a nondescript tree with ferocious big thorns all down its side. 

I found out that they are called 'palo borracho' in Spanish, meaning 'drunken stick.' Eh? I must find out the origins. But for now I'm tempted to devise a foxy pink cocktail on one of my aimless evenings and name it this. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are they really orchid like? I'm coming to LA in another week...will they still be in bloom?

Orchids are my favorite flower...I relish keeping them alive for years, blooming over and over again (not a small feat with those fickle little beauties). Hoping the blossoms stick around for another week...

Related Posts with Thumbnails